LITERACY – Spelling and Word Study/Writing
1. This week you are getting a new list of spelling words to practice. Practice the first 10 of them by writing the words on the list with your neatest handwriting! If you want to challenge yourself, you can practice also the words 11-20. Please practice writing the words on your homework notebook using 3 different colors. On Friday we will play Spelling City, just to see how well the words stick to your mind.
2. Winter Holiday! Please write one paragraph (5-8 sentences) summarizing your holiday and all the important things you experienced. Make sure your sentences make sense and you have used punctuation and capitalization. Write first a draft of your paragraph and then a good, final copy. Make sure you have done all the editing and revising of the paragraph before you write your nice copy.
LITERACY – Reading 1.The students in J4 were introduced to Scratch this week in technology class. Scratch is a free software available via download from the web at http://scratch.mit.edu/. Scratch was developed by MIT and is used by students all around the globe. Go to the website and browse through some of the projects students have created, just like Ms. Zammarano asked you to do.
2. Go back to the Scratch website. Choose from the top menu Support and read the PDF Guide of Getting Started on the right hand side of the page. You may ask your parents if you can download Scratch and create an online account.
1. Multiplication MUST! In order for us to solve multiplication and division equations quickly and efficiently, we need to be mechanical and fast in our multiplication tables. We need to know them off by heart without much thinking. At school you tested today how many problems you can do in one minute. Practice the tables with the interactive games in http://multiplication.com/interactive_games.htm
2. After you have practiced enough, do a similar test to see what you score this time. Aim for completion of the sheet in one minute! We will test the tables at school on Friday.
- We have started to learn about the explorers making discoveries. Read the text about Marco Polo and do the Comprehension Check to see how well you understood the text.
- Study the time line of Marco Polo’s life and answer the questions about him.